Friday, July 1, 2011

Louis Vuitton Spring/Summer 2012

The inspiration of a place I don't know much about piqued my interest in the country of Kenya when I first saw Louis Vuitton's Spring/Summer 2012 show today. Now under the direction of Kim Jones, who replaced Marc Jacobs as the menswear designer, (which I think is for the better, Marc Jacob's men's shows particularly for Louis Vuitton were either dull or highly unwearable, in my opinion) the collection held a variety of pieces that established both the East and West, something I find interesting and have always loved (Ex: Kenzo's Spring/Summer 2011 Menswear show).

The first few pieces that came out were suits, which apparently many editors loved, but I felt were fair.They were tailored, which is something I love, but the shoulders were made broad, something I don't like because it made the models look bigger, my ideal man being of a skinnier type.
But in some way I loved the way several of the Harringtons had a great structural shape, almost like an egg, which made the models look bigger. I only wish they weren't cheapened by the huge V on their back, which was totally unnecessary.
The Masai patterns, found on the a variety of things, particularly the neck-wear, were my favorite things. Perhaps the best look of the collection was a casual, tan double breasted suit with tan chinos covered by a huge Masai scarf, complemented with sunglasses embroidered with color, like something a Raf Simons show would produce.
In addition, the sportswear/elegant feel of the collection was greatly appreciated, as many have done since Spring 2011, sandals coming with suits and trenches after dressed for a day of work. The suit Alexander Johannsson wore with shorts and sandals was casual work-wear at its finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment